Our client is a global provider of a cloud-based web platform to the veterinary industry. They currently support thousands of clinics and vets in their everyday activities are scaling the platform for their customers and users.
Due to their continued growth we are delighted to be supporting them in the appointment of an Engineering Manager to help lead the on-going development of the platform offering
The role:Project Planning and Execution
- Working closely with the product managers to breakdown stories into actionable work ensuring that work adheres to the Definition of Ready;
- Ensure that user behaviour is well specified and that there is clear acceptance criteria around the work;
- Work with the product managers and technical leads to ensure the right combination of features, technical debt and operational platform work
- Ensure that the appropriate agile (small a) ceremonies are in-place and working to the best needs of the team and business.
- Manage team capacity.
- Manage productivity of the team as a whole.
- Carry out continuous improvement with the teams to ensure best practices around development process, operational processes and technical debt;
- Facilitate change management through retrospectives with the teams, ensuring that practices are adopted, or abandoned according to their success.
- Manage the recruitment process for the team
- Manage the on-boarding process with the team and ensure their success;
- Coach team members and provide personal development
- Carry out performance management
- Ensure that the engineering team(s) have sufficient tooling and support.
- Ensure that internal and external quality is measured and reported, liaising with the platform team on software quality issues;
- Ensure with the Director of Customer Solutions and Head of Engineering that there is a clear and consistent strategy .
- Work on technical debt, architectural change with the platform team
- Understand and work with the platform team on rolling out capability projects, devops projects and data projects.
· Experience of managing technical teams - 10-20 in size
· 5+ years experience previously in a hands on engineering role (exposure to Java an advantage)
· 2+ years in a software management role
· Knowledge of cloud based platforms (Azure experience an advantage) and relational database systems (SQL Server an advantage)
· Good understanding of agile process and ceremonies (refinement, planning, stand-ups and retrospectives)
· Excellent understanding of software engineering processes for development, test and releases
· DevOps and site reliability engineering processes
· Change management experience
· Experience working within a high growth, fast paced start-up environment would be advantageous
This is a remote based role with the need for monthly visits to Head Office in Surrey for meetings.
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information for factors such as DBS clearance, uniforms or first aid training. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles using premium rate phone numbers, or asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information on conducting a safe job hunt online, visit safer-jobs.com.